Friday, June 16, 2017

First days in the MTC

The MTC drop off
Things are going pretty well but it has been a little difficult because my companion is from Tonga and doesn't really speak too much English, at least I think or he might just be quiet. It is a struggle to communicate, so we just keep repeating the same phrases we have been learning in Kiribati:

ko uara? (how are you)
I marurung (I am well (healthy) Ao ngkoe? (and you?)
I marurung. Karabwa (thanks)

We are a district of only 5! We are the smallest one in our branch. Our district leader is Elder Ferguson (from Alabama), his companion is Elder Rogovakalali (from Fiji, his name literally means "sounds like a drum"), and my companion is Elder Ma.  We have a solo sister, Sister Paletua, who is also from Tonga which has been a blessing because she can translate for Elder Ma. I don't have a picture with me but will have one next week.
We have our first lesson on Saturday with Biiri who doesn't speak English... Elder Ma has missed both of our language classes so far because he was late the first day and then getting immunizations. He also has been getting bloody noses because of the dry air and I think he thought he had TB or something because he was filling out a form for the triage unit. But instead, I told the nurse that he actually had bloody noses and that's why he was coughing up blood, so they gave us a humidifier instead. He is a very humble person, and so it will all be good once we both can speak Kiribati together and actually communicate. I am pretty sure I have one of five companions in the entire MTC who doesn't speak English enough to communicate very well. So I am a little worried about the lesson, especially since Elder Ma has missed the lessons about the investigator. 

Talk about a small world, I have run into so many people from my BYU YSA ward, Washington, etc. Crazy. It's kind of stressful to have p-day already because I would rather have everyone just tell me what to do, because I think I am doing it wrong. It's tough to do companion study especially.
I have some improvements to make, but I have definitely felt the Spirit here, so things are looking up.

Ti abo!
Elder Farner

1 comment:

  1. So great to get news from our Marshall Islands-Kiribati missionary ! Sounds like learning the language will be a challenge, but he'll pick it up quickly with help from the Spirit. His determination is well-known!
    Thanks again for the location of the blog.

    ReplyDelete